PaulSeward.com

Photos of Phones and Phonographs (occasionally)

Clock Update – test assembly of the LEDs

I’ve made a bit more progress on the clock I’m building.  I built a dry run assembly of the LEDs I’m going to use instead of the filament bulbs the display would have taken originally.  I did consider using fillament bulbs, until I worked out that replacing the duff filament bulbs was prohibitively expensive (it would have been by far the most expensive bit of the project) but this LED approach is non-invasive, so I can “do it properly” at a later date.

First step was to build a jig to hold the LEDs in position for soldering…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Once assembled, I insulated the cathode legs (which will be connected to a common negative battery via a resistor) with hellerman sleeves, and soldered them to a common wire.  Then I sleeved the annodes and bend the legs to retain the sleeves ready for wiring.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Gently prising the assembly out of the jig, I fitted it to the display board and gave it a test run.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I think this is going to work out quite nicely! I’ve got another 3 of these assemblies to construct and fit, then I’ve got to wire the whole lot out to a tag strip and I can hook it up to the uniselector banks.

Oh, and build a case and sort out all the other stuff obviously.

One Response to “Clock Update – test assembly of the LEDs”

  1. Hi this is a really nice project. I acquired a few unislectors and relays with a view to doing similar after I acquired a 1940s clock using this technology, but haven’t started yet.
    What’s fascinating about that clock is how it is set, by matching the clock time to the setting switches rather than advancing the time in the fashion we’re used to with typical digital clocks today.

    http://mike.wepoco.com/Home/retro-geekery/uniselector-digital-clock

Leave a Reply

wordpress theme based on zenphoto